Saturday, June 21, 2014

Summer Time in Minnesota and My Struggle with Asthma

Me doing my 30 Minutes

Pictures of my walk today - 1st day of Summer Yeah






Above are links to my pictures from my 30 minute walk today. 

My actual walk time is increasing but the #LetsMove initiative is 30 minutes a day so I try and keep to that as I describe my efforts.  Actual timing is:
63 = 40 min walk 13 min bike 10 min arms building up:)
2800
143 cal
3 Km distance
2.9 Km/Hr

Walking outside wasn't something I did much of without a mask on to protect from pollen and allergens since 2001 or so.  Now I celebrate every time I get out and walk.

My breathing has greatly improved since I discovered my real issue wasn't asthma as much as acid reflux. 

As a child I had asthma.  When I was diagnosed they didn't have steroids.  My symptoms were wheezing and I couldn't catch my breath then I would cough. When I was really bad I would throw up. 

After steroids I would get extremely tight in the chest and in my throat and would have coughing fits when I tried to inhale it would whistle. I found out recently that most of my symptoms where from acid reflux probably from being overweight which crowded my stomach contents back into my esophagus. I found tums relieved my tight throat and cough more than the inhalers. So I worked with my pharmacist and doctor to go off steroids and acid blockers.  Getting off acid blockers helped me identify which foods caused more issues.

I've lost 61 pounds and continue to get closer to my correct weight for my frame. I stand more after I eat and watch how much I eat at any given time. I've given up pop or soda and caffeine which all contribute. I also have been getting allergy shots since 2000 and that has reduced my sinus issues greatly. 

I also tried EFT which helps eliminate emotional triggers in response to remembered pain.  It isn't covered by insurance but it has helped me overcome in 3 hours what doctors haven't been able to help me with ever.  Well worth checking into to see if perhaps some remembered pain is causing symptoms to manifest in the body.

I hope that all that suffer from some short of cough or breathing issue find the answers that will work for you. The body, mind, spirit and soul all work together to help us breath, eat, and experience life.  All must be in harmony for the human body to work properly.  Remember my situation is mine and I'm not a doctor so see a doctor if you need more information about asthma.  Know the facts.  Asking questions is the way to find solutions. 

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment