Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Did you know it's National Nutrition Month?

What did you do today to celebrate National Nutrition Month? Please let me know via comments.

If you're like me you didn't realize it was National Nutrition Month - just found out on Lets Move on Twitter at  check out what others on twitter did to celebrate.  Not on twitter?  Check out their website at www.letsmove.gov/.  And share how you move by adding #letsmove to your posts on  FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Vine  You'll be inspired.

Even though I didn't realize it was National Nutrition Month I stuck with my food routine.  Enjoyed an excellent team building lunch and shared how much better I was doing without sugar - its true - almost as soon as I started eating it again I lost muscle tone and gained fat.  Sugar isn't such a big sacrifice for an end result of 4 less pounds since February 24th after stopping extra sugar and adding a daily walking routine. Now I'm almost under the 200 mark - just 5 more lbs to go.

My contribution to today's daily walk was 38:12 minutes, 1,308 steps burning 71 calories, went 1.3 km and 2 km/hr.  I noticed that using my mantram instead of music helps me stay in touch with what my body needs - speed up or slow down.  Give it a try.

I get stats for my walk on a free app for iphone called GPS Kit Free - if you lock the screen when walking and turn down the light on the display you get better battery performance.  Its a great app for letting you know what your track looks like (example how many turns there were) which all goes into knee wear and tear.

If you aren't able to walk - try this idea - at commercial and/or the end of chapters - get up from your chair very slowly and sit down the same way.  Start small at a 5 or less count and build up to 10.  Hold for 5 seconds to start at each interval.  You'll be strengthening your upper thighs which is the main way the body keeps its balance.  Remember start small and build to doing it for the whole commercial break and the same interval when you start a new chapter in your book.

It's never a better time than now to work on a healthier lifestyle.  Hope you all give it a try - check out the ideas on http://www.letsmove.gov/blog/2014/02/20/first-lady-wants-see-how-you-move-letsmove - be part of the movement toward feeling better.






No comments:

Post a Comment