Thursday, November 6, 2014

My Fall Vacation October-November 2014 - Day 1

Hi All,

Fall is a good time to travel.  I just completed a 4 night stay at Hagerstown, Maryland.

The flight to Washington DC's Ronald Reagan National Airport had beautiful skies.





 I rented a car and headed out listening to my iPhone for directions.  I love the quality of the highways in Virginia and especially in Maryland.  I stopped at the Maryland Welcome Center and found lots of great Fall pictures and some excellent information on the sites to see in Maryland.



















I've been to Hagerstown before in July, 2013.  This visit was cooler temperatures and less crowds for most of the outdoor activities.  The first attraction I checked out was the Crystal Grottoes Cavern www.crystalgrottoescaverns.com just outside of Boonsboro on the road to Sharpsburg.

Here's some pictures from my personal tour:







The cave was found by accident when a drill bit discovered an opening under ground.  The cave had no natural outlets to the surface.  It was completely dug out by hand so a walking tour would be possible.  The formations were spectacular.  I bought a small piece to bring home with me.

Next I saw the public library.  I really enjoyed how the librarian displayed the books - I got several ideas for my next reading material during my visit.  Here are some of the highlights:























Lovely small town library with a quality selection of books and reading material for all ages.  A great place to browse.

Next stop was dinner at Dan's Restaurant and Tap House.  Excellent food.  Here's the salad I got with a non-alcoholic juice drink.


  Town was having early trick and treating event with all the businesses handing out candy on main street.



















This is the end of Day 1, October 30th, 2014 of my visit.  I'll post Day 2 soon.  Stay tuned.






No comments:

Post a Comment